STRUCTURED TRAINING KEY TO SUCCESS
by Derick Marcisz
06 November 2017
Do you want to know the key to success for athletes of all abilities? It’s actually very simple: structured training. Unfortunately athletes and coaches often neglect this important aspect. Coach Derick Marcisz reminds us all what the basics of structured training look like.
1. Consistency - Get out at least 3 to 4 times each and every week/month.
2. Quality is better that Quantity - Especially this time of the year – don’t neglect quality sessions to keep the log book/Strava happy.
3. Planning - Do the right sessions at the right time. It’s no use starting hill training two weeks before a big race or doing speed work too early.
4. Rest And Recovery - This is part of any training program, this allows your body to adapt and get stronger and fitter.
5. Purpose - Each session (even an easy recovery run) must have a specific purpose.
6. Structured Training Is for everybody. Young and old, fast and slow, all events from walking to parkruns to triathlons and any running race up to the Comrades Marathon.
7. Keep Training Interesting - Try different sessions, routes and races.
The author Derick Marcisz has been coaching for more than 20 years and has been an athlete for 47 years. He has excelled as a runner, cyclist and triathlete and has a marathon PB of 02:17.17.
Share this article on facebook?
Tweet about this article?